| ||Alex Alexandridis
Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
School of Engineering
University of West Attica
Tel: +30 210 5381571 (office), +30 210 5381336 (lab)
Dr. Alex Alexandridis holds a Diploma in Chemical Engineering (2000) and a PhD in Computational Intelligence and Control Systems (2003) from the National Technical University of Athens. He was a Postdoctoral Fellow with the Laboratory of Process Control and Informatics of NTUA from 2004 to 2009. In 2010 he has joined the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering of the University of West Attica (former Department of Electronic Engineering of the TEI of Athens), where he currently serves as a Professor of Neural Networks. From 2015 to 2018 he was also an Adjunct Associate Professor of Automatic Control at the Department of Mechanical Engineering of the University of Thessaly.
Dr. Alexandridis has rich research and professional experience in the development and industrial application of Computational Intelligence and Automatic Control methodologies. He is the author or co-author of more than 80 original publications in scientific journals and conferences, introducing novel methodologies for neural network training, controller design, and intelligent system development, as well as their applications to a large variety of industrial systems. His published work has been widely cited by other researchers, having received more than 1200 citations (excluding self-citations of all his co-authors) according to Scopus (h-index=24) and more than 2250 citations according to Google Scholar (h-index=25). Dr. Alexandridis has supervised, or is currently supervising, several PhD, postgraduate and undergraduate Theses in the areas of Computational Intelligence and Automatic Control and 5 of these Theses received awards of excellence from the Faculty of Technological Applications of the TEI of Athens. He was also the recepient of the Annual Academic Teaching Award by the Department of Mechanical Engineering of the University of Thessaly for three consecutive years, for instructing the course "Automatic Control". Dr. Alexandridis serves as member of the Editorial Board, Guest Editor and/or Reviewer in a large number of scientific journals and has been member of the organizing committee in international scientific conferences. Dr. Alexandridis has worked in National and European-funded research projects as a principal investigator and senior researcher, and was also the product manager in the development of software packages for neural network and automatic control industrial applications.
Recent key publications:
1. M. Papadimitrakis, N. Giamarelos, M. Stogiannos, E.N. Zois, N.A.I. Livanos, A. Alexandridis, "Metaheuristic search in smart grid: A review with emphasis on planning, scheduling and power flow optimization applications", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 145 (2021), 111072.
2. Karamichailidou, D., V. Kaloutsa, A. Alexandridis, "Wind turbine power curve modeling using radial basis function neural networks and tabu search", Renewable Energy, 163 (2021), 2137-2152.
3. Stogiannos, M., A. Alexandridis, H. Sarimveis, "An enhanced decentralized artificial immune-based strategy formulation algorithm for swarms of autonomous vehicles", Applied Soft Computing, 89 (2020), 106135.
4. Zois E.N., A. Alexandridis, G. Economou, "Writer independent offline signature verification based on asymmetric pixel relations and unrelated training-testing datasets", Expert Systems with Applications, 125 (2019), Pages 14-32.
5. Stogiannos, M., A. Alexandridis, H. Sarimveis, "Model predictive control for systems with fast dynamics using inverse neural models", ISA Transactions, 72 (2018), Pages 161-177.
6. Alexandridis A, E. Chondrodima, N. Giannopoulos, H. Sarimveis, "A Fast and Efficient Method for Training Categorical Radial Basis Function Networks", IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, 28(11) (2017), pp. 2831 - 2836.
7. Alexandridis A, E. Paizis, E. Chondrodima, M. Stogiannos, "A particle swarm optimization approach in printed circuit board thermal design", Integrated Computer-Aided Engineering, 24(2) (2017), pp. 143-155.
8. Alexandridis A, E. Chondrodima, H. Sarimveis, "Cooperative learning for radial basis function networks using particle swarm optimization", Applied Soft Computing, 49, (2016), pp. 485-497.
9. Alexandridis A, E. Chondrodima, "A medical diagnostic tool based on radial basis function classifiers and evolutionary simulated annealing", Journal of Biomedical Informatics, 49, (2014), pp. 61-72.
10. Alexandridis A, E. Chondrodima, E. Efthimiou, G. Papadakis, F. Vallianatos, D. Triantis, "Large earthquake occurrence estimation based on radial basis function neural networks", IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 52(9) (2014), pp. 5443-5453.
11. Alexandridis, A., "Evolving RBF neural networks for adaptive soft-sensor design", International Journal of Neural Systems 23(6) (2013), pp. 1350029.
12. Alexandridis, A., E. Chondrodima, H. Sarimveis, "Radial Basis Function network training using a non-symmetric partition of the input space and Particle Swarm Optimization", IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, 24 (2013), pp. 219-230.
13. Alexandridis, A., M. Stogiannos, A. Kyriou, H. Sarimveis, "An offset-free neural controller based on approximating the inverse process dynamics" Journal of Process Control, 23(7) (2013), pp. 968-979.